- Benjamin Andrews, along with Shadrock Mills, John Turner, Isaac Snell, Allen Cooley, Daniel Windham and their families were the first settlers in an area that later became Dale County, Alabama. They took refuge at the confluence of the East and West Choctawhatchee rivers where the first public structure was built of logs in 1814 by a contingent of General Andrew Jackson's Army and called the "Block House". This post was not fortified. It provided shelter for militia and settlers driven into it by the fear of Indians. The site of a ferry across the river, it was occupied as a store and was designated as a post office from 1833 to 1841. First post master was John Whitehurst. Jackson had in mind to fortify it later, but due to the fact that the land was acquired by the government, and the power of the Indians had been broken, it was never fortified. One mile west of that location a historical marker stands today, commemorating the Block House. This marker is located in southeast Dale County, Alabama on US Hwy 231, about 8 miles southeast of Ozark on the northbound side of the highway, near the Choctawhatchee Bridge.
Document- Land Patent for purchase from the Federal Government of 159 acres in Dale Alabama by Benjamin Andrews signed on June 14, 1828, by President John Quincy.
Document- Land Patent for purchase from the Federal Government of 119 acres in Dale Alabama by Benjamin Andrews signed on July 1, 1841, by President John Tyler.